Monday, June 20, 2011

Summer Spotlight!

Spring '11 Weenie, Jules Bunch, and Spring '09 Weenie, Rachel Platis, have spent the past 30 days studying multimedia photography in Prague through a UT Maymester program. Below is the first of many recaps stolen from Jules' blog documenting her experience. 
Jules (center) and Rachel (right) in front of the Lennon Wall

"Morning Glory: Starting Off Right 
On my first morning in Prague, I awoke groggy and still jet lagged from the overnight flight over the Atlantic. I was sleepy enough to go back to sleep for summer hibernation, but the view from my window stopped me. An hour later, I was wondering the streets around my new apartment and stopped in a small cafe for a Czech take on American breakfast. I felt pretty guilty that my first meal in Europe claimed to be “Authentic American”, but having yet find an ATM, it was the only place I could find that would take debit. I was not disappointed with the bagel filled with sausage links. As with most Czech cuisine, meat is the center of attention. Going to the grocery store has, so far, been my favorite two hours spend in Prague. My new roommates and I took turns calling each other out from different isles voicing our amazement. “Look! They have dried mushrooms!” or “Guys! They don’t have peanut butter! They only have nutella!” While there were plenty of recognizable American brands, most of them had completely different packaging or design that what I’m used to. The oddest thing I found was prepackaged toast. It is sold similar to rice cakes and isn’t eaten hot. Off to have a nutella and jelly sandwich."

To read more about Jules' trip, and to see some beautiful photography, click here

Rachel also documented her trip and photos via blog which can be viewed here

No comments:

Post a Comment