Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Texas Spirits: Summer 2015 Around the World

(A guest blog by Jackie Wang)

Texas Spirits work hard during the school year and this summer, many of us are scattering across the globe to take a well-deserved break from the university. While I plan on staying in Austin to take classes, I will be living vicariously through some of these girls’ stories, because they’re all pretty amazing.

Haley Qualman (Spring 14) heads to Buenos Aires to study this summer, after falling in love with Latin American Studies. She wants to see for herself how a growing city of 14 million people developed and deals with its issues.\


This semester, I took my first Latin American Studies class (which is my minor) and really fell in love,” she said. “Most Americans believe that Latin America is undeveloped and poor, and although this is true in some regions, Latin America is growing at an immense rate. I chose to study abroad in Buenos Aires because I want to see first-hand how a city of its size (almost 14 million people!) developed and what issues it faces as a growing city. In the future, I would love to start my own non-profit in Latin America, so going to Buenos Aires is the first step!”

Unnu Shukla (Spring 14) and Kayla Blanchard (Fall 14) will both be studying international marketing in Paris for a short-term program, but Unnu will continue to backpack around Europe for a few weeks.


“I'm looking forward to all the spontaneity and unexpected experiences that will occur,” Unnu said. “Also the food? The food for sure.”

Kathryn Lewis (Spring 14) said she will be repeating her mission trip from last year to Haiti, where she and her church group visit Harvest House Haiti, an orphanage for children with AIDS and disabilities. She helps to build up the orphanage, provide supplies, and will hold a vacation bible school at the orphanage.


She’s returning to Haiti for one boy, she said.

Mackinson is the little boy who stole my heart last summer when I went to Haiti for the first time,” Kathryn said. “Mackinson along with all the orphans I met last summer have truly given me a new perspective on life and inspired me in so many ways.”

Kathryn reminds herself every day that the things we take for granted - running water, electricity and food - are luxuries. But even with the lack of things we come to expect, the kids she works with have so much joy.

“I am doing what I am doing because these children are lacking the love that they deserve. I was blessed to be given this by my parents, and my hope is to provide as much of it as I can in their lives.”

Not all of us are heading outside the country to have an amazing summer, however. Paige Parent (Fall 14) plans to stay in Austin and become certified as a yoga instructor at CorePower Yoga.


I want to find the spiritual side within myself by pursuing a deeper training of yoga,” she said. “Yoga takes me to place where I feel really beautiful spiritually. I look forward to hopefully mastering Swan and variations of headstands and handstands.”

Have a wonderful summer, ladies!

2 comments:

  1. Best Hidden Secret CODE for iPhone or Android 2015 - TopCellSmartPhone.Com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Business Loans And many More:

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete