Sunday, December 2, 2012

Tap-Out Spotlight: Kyndal Henicke




What inspired you to try out for Spirits?
Texas Spirits was the first spirit organization I came in contact with at freshman orientation, and from then on I was continually drawn to this group. However, it wasn't until I spoke with two Spirits at the Starbucks Social after First Reception that I knew that I wanted to apply. Seeing how the two girls were each individually wonderful people and had also become such close friends made me want to be a part of this group more than anything else. I will always remember that it was talking to Betty Mathew and Elena Cernicky that inspired me to try out for Spirits. Which made it pretty cool that Elena ended up being my grandghoul!

What is your favorite memory from when you were a Weenie?
My favorite memory from when I was a Weenie was Kidnap. Our class literally spent the whole night together and Katie Koehler had things planned down to having the same music playing in every single car. That night is full of great memories of many bonding moments!

If you could relive any experience in Spirits what would it be?
If I could, I would relive the day of my initiation brunch. I'm sure most Spirits know how special that moment is when you finally get your scarf. I remember that I went back to my dorm room and changed into sweatpants and still left it on! But sometimes as we get older I think that many of us lose sight of how special being in this organization is and what wearing our scarves really means. I think it would be great if we could all relive that experience in Spirits from time to time.

What advice would you leave to future and current members of the organization?
I would advise the members of the organization to do their best to get to know the Weenies every semester. While the actives and the older members are the backbone, each new Weenie class is truly the heart of our organization. When you lose sight of how much you wanted to join this organization, if you hang out with the Weenies it is suddenly easy to remember. Their love and enthusiasm for Spirits is contagious.

What pillar of Spirits means the most to you?
Love. I think it is often the most forgotten of our pillars. When things get political and tensions run high, I think it is always important to step back and remember to love each and every member of Spirits. Many other types of organizations can perform service, exhibit spirit, and form friendships, but I think the love that envelopes all Spirits, young and old, is what makes our organization different.

What's your favorite thing about your pledge class?
My favorite thing about Fall '09 is that we look fly. We look good. And none of us have every actually known all of our Weenie dance...

No comments:

Post a Comment