Monday, October 12, 2015

Red River Reflections

(Guest Blog by Holly Cook)

     This past weekend I took the daring trip to a little ol' place called Dallas, Texas to take part in festivities known as "Texas/OU Weekend". You might ask yourself, "Daring? To watch football?" and to that I would answer "Quite so." You see, it's no secret to the university and well, the rest of the nation, that in recent years UT football has had it's fair share of struggles. This struggle really reached a low point when over this current season we accumulated our worst record since 1956. So to journey up into a territory, swarming with boisterous Oklahoma fans ready to laugh at your pending loss, I would say is a dare.
     When stepping onto the fair grounds, it was apparent that the number of Oklahoma fans far out weighed the Texas ones. Many, when making the decision whether or not to come up, decided no, saying "I don't want to waste all that time just to see us lose... badly." Many others just wanted to see Drake perform Hotline Bling for the second time at ACL. (But who could blame them?) Now I must admit, while I did attend the fair and travel to Dallas I was one of those who did not make their way into the Cotton Bowl Stadium. The tickets themselves can get pretty pricy, especially on top of all the other expenses that go into the whole weekend. But I wasn't really going to miss out on anything, right?
     While chowing down into a large fried spaghetti and meat ball sometime during the first quarter, I heard the cannon go off earlier than expected. While I thought time was just flying by, as it might when enjoying the wondrous fried foods offered at the fair, I soon realized that the cannon sound was no ordinary quarterly ring. Then, in the near future, another boom of the cannon went off. At that point my curiosity was answered when a man deck out in lovely burnt orange screamed "Texas up 14-0!" At that point the group I was with decided that we should probably find a tent and go watch the game. (After the dog show that was about to begin though.)
     So, as everyone now knows, the horns ended up winning 24-17 with some intense back and forth "TEXAS/OU SUCKS" action during the game's entirety. Of course, the later being the correct use of the phrase. While, I wasn't basking in the glory of victory inside the stadium, I could still hear The Eyes of Texas ringing throughout the fair. It's the kind of thing that makes you proud to be a Longhorn and the kind of feeling you hope to get after every football game. While I doubt many games in the future will rival the upset of the Red River Showdown of 2015, I hope the excitement and belief can carry us through the season. Maybe if in the future we ever find the horns with "the worst season start since 2015" (which we can all agree on not wanting this to happen) we can still come early, be loud, stay late and wear a lot of burnt orange with pride!

Also, it's 10:54 and OU still sucks. (Sorry, I just had to.)

No comments:

Post a Comment