Saturday, February 16, 2013

Spirit of the Week: Lauren Gray



Name: Lauren Gray
Hometown: Humble, TX
Major: English and UTeach
Weenie Class: Spring 2011

If you were a UT building, which would you be and why?
The Blanton Museum of Art! Whenever I am in need of inspiration or just want to take a break during a hectic week, it is my place of refuge.

Why English and UTeach?
I find comfort in the words and pages of a book. I believe that literature has a lot to teach us and that literacy is one of the keys to equality - if you can read and write, you have the ability to change the world. You just have to want to. I desire to be a teacher because we need more positive and influential people in the education system. I know one of the reasons I am a passionate and driven young woman today is because of the teachers who inspired me to break down the walls of the classroom and to see that you can learn a lot in school but even more through the experiences you have outside of it. I want every student to know they are important and that they can have a lasting impact on the future.

What is your favorite Spirits event or tradition?
Weenie Beanie! For you new Weenies, this is when your ghoulfriend/ghoulfamily is revealed. You get dressed up in a crazy costume and have to search for your match. I remember being so nervous to find out who my ghoulfriend would be. But when I saw Tori waiting for me in a silly jelly beans costume, I knew it would be okay. My ghoulfamily has been such a pivotal part of my time in Spirits. It gave me an opportunity to foster relationships outside of my Weenie class and make friendships and memories that will last forever. Plus, we're just awesome. Much love to you Maysie, Tori, Emily, Jordan, and Savannah. Can't wait for our new little jelly bean!

What is the best thing you have gotten out of Spirits?
So many things. Although I enjoy almost every part of Spirits, the part I will remember most is the frienship. Spirit events are fun because of the amazing young women in the organization. Between my pledge class (whaddup Spring '11!!!!!), my ghoulfamily, my mentors, and hundreds of other girls I have had the opportunity to meet, I have formed relationships that will stay with me forever.

What advice do you have for the new Spring 2013 Weenies?
The most common advice older Spirits give is to stay involved. At risk of being unoriginal, I'm going to say the same thing. Spirits will give to you what you put into it. Go to face painting at football games, volunteer at Micah 6, have dinner with your Weenie pal, get a mentor, be on an IM team. If you ever find yourself debating whether or not you want to do something or go to an event, just do it! You won't regret it.

Describe your ghoulfamily in 3 words.
Awesome. Alto. Trudy's.

Describe your pledge class in three words.
Breathtaking. Winsome. Spontaneous.

Congratulations, Lauren! CIWY

No comments:

Post a Comment