Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Past Spirit of the Week Spotlight: Alex Lawrence

Alexandria Lawrence
Hometown: Clear Lake, Texas
Major: Human Biology Pathogenesis and Immunity
Fall '13

What does Texas Spirits mean to you? Texas Spirits has become a home away from home. Before I was accepted into Spirits, I had longed for a place where I could be myself, surrounded by people that I loved and doing good for the world. Needless to say, I was blessed more than I could have ever imagined. Spirits has been an instrument for me to cheer on my beloved school. It has helped me extend my hand to those in need. The women in Texas Spirits have encouraged and pushed me to do wonderful, incredible things. I wouldn’t trade these friends and experiences for anything.
If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would you meet? Carl Sagan, hands down. What an incredible man who continued to marvel at the wonder of the universe even until the day that he died. I am not an astronomer, nor will I ever be one. But as a scientist myself, I can appreciate the unrelenting desire to know and understand everything about this beautiful world that you can until you reach the limits of what science has discovered. I look up to him for his popularization of science through his series Cosmos. Call me a nerd, but it’s been a goal of mine to start up a science blog focused on the awesome things that are happening in the scientific community as well as encouraging more girls to join STEM fields.
If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do? Call my mom probably. I’d probably pay off all of the debt they owe on the house, car, etc. to thank them for everything they’ve done for my sister and I. Then I’d put a big chunk of change in my slowly-growing travel fund. It’s been a life goal to travel to every single country that I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment