Sunday, November 13, 2011

Tap-Out Spotlight

This week's tap-out spotlight is Emily Slattery! She is a Spring 2009 Weenie and 2010 Vice Haunt. Emily majors in Mathematics and will graduate in May of 2013. She isn't too sure about her plans after graduation yet, but she says that she hopes to find a job that feeds her "math nerd" half in a place where she can really work with people and make a difference! "I'm hoping for an internship at the Make-A-Wish Foundation this Spring, and hopefully that will shed some light on where I would really like to be."

Emily's favorite Spirits tradition is Ghoulfamilies. "You would think that simply given the name of being "Ghoulfriends" or being in a "Ghoulfam" wouldn't create that family-like relationship, but it does. When I was a Weenie, our fam was 3 people and now we are 7! I love my little, Christine like my wittle baby and I felt like a proud soccer mom when she made GC and got into OJs. The love definitely trickles down. Sometimes we joke about how I don't necessarily "belong" in my sweet, innocent family but baby Em has a little wild and a lot of weird in her and I'm happy that I'll be leaving that part of the fam with her."

When asked to choose her favorite Spirits memory, Emily couldn't choose just one. If she had to pick something, she says it would probably be GC Retreat Spring 2010. "We were all so excited, and it was when our GC family really started. Ups and downs, we really supported each other no matter what."

Emily's advice to younger generations of Spirits? "BE WEIRD! But really, be yourself! Goof off, have fun, embarrass yourself, and be awkward (1st place - Shannon Funke). This is the time to do the things that you enjoy before having to become the dreaded 'grown-up.' If you don't laugh so hard you almost pee, on a regular basis, you're missing out."

Thank you for everything you have given to Spirits, Emily. We'll miss you! Good luck with all that lies ahead of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment