Monday, April 13, 2015

Spring 2015 Senior Spotlights


(A Guest Blog By Emily Twa)

Every Semester, we send our graduates or “tap-outs” out into the real world, but not without plenty of fanfare! The dedication of these women has shaped this organization and our University. Here is a snapshot of some of these impressive graduates. We wish them luck as they head into their next big adventures.

FALL 2011


Name:
Aliyah McRoberts
Major: Plan II Honors and Civil Engineering

-What is your favorite memory from your time in Spirits?
Tap In my freshmen year! It was so spooky and haunting yet so exciting!

- Any words of wisdom for underclassmen?
Get as involved as possible even when you are getting older in spirits! Everyone in this org is an incredible woman and I am so thankful I have gotten to know and learn from all of them! Also always go to boat party!


SPRING 2012

Name: Carmen Collins
Major: Public Relations, Business Foundations

-What will you miss most about Spirits?
Being surrounded by so many amazing women with such diverse interests. I continuously learn new things about each Spirit.

-Any words of wisdom for underclassmen?
Take lots of pictures and videos! Time flies by so fast and you're going to want to look back and remember everything.


Name: Jessie Neuendorff
Major: Advertising, Texas Creative (Also doing a BDP in Ethics & Leadership in the Media with a focus in Public Policy)
Post Grad Plans: Finishing research up this summer, taking a year off to work and then going to Graduate School

-Words of Wisdom for Underclassmen?
You'll hear this a lot, but wherever you are, be there. It's easy to become busy in college, but when you make a commitment, fulfill it. There were times I felt very overwhelmed, but I didn't let that stop me from getting coffee with a friend or going to a service event. Sometimes, those can be a saving grace to a stressful week. Also, on a different note, cherish your friendships.

-What are you most excited for after graduation?
 I feel like I have learned how to comfortably navigate UT, and I take that as a sign that it's time for me to move on. I'm excited for a new challenge and a fresh start. I'm also thrilled that I finally get to pursue what I've been so focused on over the past 4 years.


Name: Alexa Gould
Major: Political Communications / Minor in Spanish & BDP Certificate
Post Grad Plans: Law School (Still deciding on which one to attend)
- What is your favorite memory from your time in Spirits?
All of my favorite memories from UT incorporate Spirits somehow so this is a hard one. I know I will never forget the seniors spring break cruise!! But overall my favorite memory would have to be when Spring 12 threw a going away party for Kayla and I before we studied abroad in Spring 2013. And not only that, Spring 12 also sent me a cute Valentines Day care package! It just meant so much to me that I had a wonderful group of friends who supported me and made me feel loved.
-What will you miss most about Spirits?
I will miss constantly running into and seeing any of the 150 amazing women in this organization. I have loved getting to know and become close friends with girls across all weenie classes and I can confidently say that these women have inspired me and have made me a better version of myself. At the end of the day, I will miss the constant laughs and all the crazy interactions I have with this org. My social life will definitely be different after spirits that's for sure.


Name: Quynh Pham (Quam)
Major: Human Development and Family Sciences
Post Grad Plans: Texas Tech School of Medicine

- What is your favorite memory from your time in Spirits?
So many memories. So many favorites. I will say.. My most memorable experiences have been my travels with fellow Spirits. Sophomore year Spring 12 did a road trip to Panama City Beach for spring break. I'm just going to leave that one as that... Hahaha. Summer of junior year Willa (spring 12 sister) and I traveled to Brazil before the World Cup. I can confidently say that we will be back- together. Winter break senior year, Isabella, Ashley McAdams and I backpacked in Peru and Patagonia, Chile. Most physically and emotionally demanding trip but it was one hell of a "learning experience." Hahaha. And senior spring break, Spring 12, Fall 11 plus Halleh and Marnie, went on a cruise to the Bahamas. #springbreakfoeva. All of these trips had their own hilariously good moments. But I can say.. It’s a special experience being in a new place with good friends. That place, in a sense, becomes your second home that's filled with endless stories.

-Any words of wisdom for underclassmen?
Willa found a fortunate cookie for me once that said, "Pick a path with heart." I think that should be applied to all facets of your undergraduate life. Pick a profession your heart wants to pursue. Pick friends who hold a spot in your heart. Pick a hobby your heart beats for. Pick a life your heartaches for. I know this all sounds really cheesy but whatever you are doing, let your heart be in your works. Your heart, not others’ heart. Do things for yourself. Do you. Spirits is definitely in my heart and because of that.. I have made more beautiful memories and friends than a girl could ever dream of.

FALL 2012

Name:
Sarah Micheletti
Major: Design BFA
Post Grad Plans: I hope to stay in Austin and continue working on a website/local music startup called Banded.us with two partners that we've been building for the past year and a half (we're in the process of searching for funding).

- What will you miss most about Spirits?
My ghoulfam! Our spaghetti and wine dinners are always the magic cure for a rough week (especially Farah's pizookies). Being in our Milk & Cookies fam has given me the opportunity to bond with amazing girls, and while each of us are extremely different in many ways, we all fit perfectly.


- Any words of wisdom for underclassmen?
I know everyone says this, and you've probably heard it a million times, but make the most of your time at UT and in Spirits! It will go by in a flash and the next thing you know you'll be searching for full time jobs and realizing that you can't take cool classes anymore like Search for Extraterrestrial Life or Human Sexuality or Self & Culture in North Korea (all of which I would highly recommend, especially astronomy classes!). Work hard and play hard (seriously), and keep in mind the advice of Tom from Parks & Rec: “Sometimes you gotta work a little, so you can ball a lot.”


Name: Devanne Parent
Major: Marketing
Post Grad Plans: Teach for America in Hawaii

- Any words of wisdom for underclassmen?
Go ahead and drink the mystery punch, it won't kill you and most likely a great story will come out of it.

- What will you miss most about Spirits?
The friendship: being constantly surrounded by people who endlessly love and support you and always having a partner to hit the dance floor with.


Name: Ashley Cubley
Major: Psychology
Post Grad Plans: Attending pharmacy school at UT Austin!

-What is your favorite memory from your time in Spirits?
While working to research the history of Spirits I came in contact with so many wonderful alumni that were willing to share their stories of their time in Spirits/Spooks. One of my favorite alumni was Helen Lewis, who was one of the founding members allll the way back in 1941. Getting to meet one of the ladies who started it all was a very special moment for me.

-Any words of wisdom for underclassmen?
Go to EVERYTHING! Even if you’re tired, or have a test the next day (sorry mom), you’ll make memories you’ll never forget by going to things you never thought could be so fun.


Name: Amanda Haight
Major: Plan II, Linguistics

-Favorite memory from Spirits?
Realizing that the crazy and scary people who say they already love me upon first seeing me EVER are actually the coolest people in the world. Ever. It takes more than a few days to win my love, but it's great to know that all my fellow spirits knew we were perfect for each other way before I did.

-What are you most excited for after graduation?
I'm most excited for people to stop asking me what I'm doing after graduation. Because I don't know. And even when I figure it out, I know I'm the type of person that will be doing something that is just unexplainable. I'm fully of the mindset that it's just going to all work out. It won't be the linear, brand name career path that all our parents want, but it'll work for me.


Name: 
 Lindsey Kellam                      
Major: Rhetoric & Writing

Post Grad Plans: As of now I plan on attending law school somewhere in California or Texas (not sure which state quite yet!) However, I’ve recently considered taking a break to work or travel before going to law school. I’m excited to see which direction life takes me.

-What will you miss most about Spirits?
Football games (donning the scarf, sitting in the best seats of the house, tailgating, ect…), my pledge class (may we never forget the freshman mixers…popping tags), and my fam!!! May the divas and homemade pizza nights live on forever.

- What’s the coolest thing you’ve done at UT?
 I once posed in this picture behind Aly and Dionne on the sidelines…it was pretty rad. Also, I really enjoyed my time serving as the Public Relations Rep for the Pancakes for Parkinson’s committee.

SPRING 2013

Name: Farah Mithani
Major: Government and Urban Studies
Post Grad Plans: I plan on working either in the field of government or the field of business technology and then plan to get a masters degree in either public policy or finance or both.

-What is your favorite memory from your time in Spirits?
My favorite memory in Spirits has been Apple Polishing. It was really great to see how so many of us in Spirits have been inspired by our professors and how much of an impact education can have on all of us in furthering our dreams and ambitions. I’m glad we were able to bring that tradition back!

-Any words of wisdom for underclassmen?
You may not realize it but college goes by really really fast, so stay in the moment and go for the things you want and don’t let anything hold you back. Step out of your comfort zone, take risks, and have fun with everything that you do!


Name: Alyssa Pappas
Major: Human Development and Family Sciences, Early Childhood
Post Grad Plans (if any): Currently job searching - hoping to eventually work for a child advocacy nonprofit!

-Any words of wisdom for underclassmen?
Don’t take life too seriously and absolutely don’t be afraid to change your major - explore all the wonderful and unique majors at UT!

-What will you miss most about Spirits?
How much I learn from everyone! I hear about the coolest events and opportunities through Spirits, and it’s even how I discovered my major!


No comments:

Post a Comment