Friday, November 15, 2013

Study Abroad Spotlight: Mayte Salazar

Name: Mayte Salazar
Hometown: Ciudad Juárez, Mexico
Major: History, Anthropology, and Latin American Studies
Weenie Class: Spring 2011

What are you studying and as part of what program?
I'm currently at Sciences Politiques in Paris France, as part of an exchange program UT has with this university. Though this is primarily a political science university, as the name suggests, I'm taking several different classes in a variety of disciplines, including philosophy, art history, and history.

What has been the most exciting experience you've had so far?
I hate speaking in superlatives or limiting responses to one single thing especially when absolutely everything is fascinating and exciting about going to a new country and attempting to immerse yourself in the culture. As I think of my day to day life here, I think what gets me going is the thought of meeting new people and seeing new places. But in meeting new people and seeing new places, what commits these experiences to memory are the connections and memories I make with these new people in these new places.

So, how's the food?
The food is absolutely incredible. I'm blessed with the fact I have a host mom who is a French and Italian descendent. She cooks dinner for me every night and I'd say this has been, by far, the most "cultural" experience I've had here. I've gotten to try some traditional, French, home-cooked meals and have learned so many recipes that I'm excited to bring back with me. Food and its preparation encompasses an entirely different way of living here. Sunday mornings are dedicated to going to the local market and picking up your vegetables and meats for the week; every afternoon, you take time out of your day to go to your local bakery to pick up a baguette; and every evening, of course, you cook whatever it is that is in your fridge. I have the luck of having a host mother who rarely eats frozen food or at least prefers to buy things "fresh" for the taste. And well, I've grown pretty accustomed to this pampered way of living. I'm wondering how it'll affect my own cooking back home. Speaking of which, I don't know how I'll live without French cheese in the United States. French cheese and wine are underrated!!! But I'm nonetheless excited to go back to large breakfasts and tortillas. While I love my croissants and pan-au-chocolat in the morning, breakfast tacos are definitely more my lifestyle.

Have you travelled a lot or have you mostly stayed in the place where you are studying?
I've traveled some and actually have just finished booking some of the last bit of traveling I'd do before coming back to the States. I'd say I've had a good balance of both. I've been to Italy, Ireland, and the south of France thus far, and have a trip to England, Spain, and Italy planned for December. Italy has definitely been my favorite place thus far.

What challenges, if any, have you faced in this new country?
I'd heard a lot of things about French bureaucracy and the different style of friendship-making before I came here, and the frustration that comes from being foiled time and time again and not receiving immediate gratification definitely took some getting used to. The first month and a half or so I was also incredibly homesick. I'd already been away all sumer and adding a few several thousand miles of sea in between me and my loved ones has been really tough. I'm absolutely in love with my life here and I don't want the experience to end, but I am incredibly excited to come back and share the beauty I've seen with the people I love.

What advice could you give current or prospective members who want to go abroad?
DO IT! I'm a senior graduating in May. I'm in a long-term relationship. And studying abroad didn't fit with my major... All these things notwithstanding, I'm here, having the time of my life. Don't let anything stand in the way of your living in the moment and taking advantage of the opportunity to live abroad with the support of an institution back home. Don't sever ties with the world, but know that the people who love you will be there when you come back. You have an institution willing to support your sojourn abroad, willing to provide funding through scholarships, and you should take advantage of that!

Have fun, Mayte! CIWY

No comments:

Post a Comment