Saturday, November 23, 2013

Texas 4000 Spotlight: Quynh Pham

Name: Quynh Pham
Hometown: Spring, TX
Major: Human Development and Family Sciences/Pre-Med
Weenie Class: Spring 2012

Why are you riding for cancer?
During these college years, I have really been in the pursuit of a meaningful life. I believe that Texas 4000 is a great start to this pursuit. It gives me the opportunity to be a part of something that's so much bigger than me. Cancer is the one enemy that the whole world is fighting against. Getting to opportunity to ride for cancer is like getting the opportunity to fight for my loved ones that have been affected by cancer. But also, it's an opportunity to fight for those that are currently suffering from the battle. Living a meaningful life is living a life of service. Riding for cancer will be my first huge step in committing my life to a life of service.

This journey will not be easy. What will keep you going when things get tough or tiring?
I just need to keep reminding myself that this journey I have been chosen to be a part of is a privilege. I will rely on my teammates for motivation. I will rely on my family and friends for comfort. Most importantly, I will remind myself of the loved ones I am riding for.

What aspect of this experience are you the most excited about?
I am really excited to get to know the cancer community better. I think getting the opportunity to get to know why my teammates are riding for cancer will be awesome. Also, while on our route, I am excited to experience the different communities of people that have been affected by cancer.

What are some places/things you are excited to see on your voyage?
Everything. I can't even imagine the places/things I will get to see when biking 4500 miles across the country. The scenic views and constant fresh air are going to be absolutely breathtaking.

What are your expectations going into this experience?
No expectations really. I just want to raise money for cancer research, raise awareness about the fight against cancer, and ride my bike to Alaska with a group of passionate people that share the same sentiments. Going into an experience like this with expectations is going to make it hard. I just want to cruise along the journey and enjoy this once in a lifetime ride.

Congratulations, Quynh! CIWY

No comments:

Post a Comment