Saturday, November 23, 2013

Texas 4000 Spotlight: Willa Altman-Kaough

Name: Willa Altman-Kaough
Hometown: Spring, TX
Major: International Relations and Global Studies
Weenie Class: Spring 2012
Why are you riding for cancer?
I applied to Texas 4000 because I have seen many people who I love lose moms, dads, children, siblings, and friends to cancer. I am lucky that I haven't experienced that intimate of a loss myself, but I have seen the devastation cancer can bring into a family's home and the ways in which the lives of those affected are changed forever. Beyond my personal bone to pick with cancer, I was attracted to Texas 4000 because it presents one of the true opportunities to make a significant impact and to be a part of something bigger, better, and beyond yourself.

What aspect of this experience are you the most excited about?
I think Texas 4000 is incredibly special because the riders, for the year before the ride and during the ride, have the opportunity to connect with people throughout Austin, the state, and the country who have been touched by cancer one way or another. It is humbling to learn how many people have been affected and one of Texas 4000's goals is to assure all of these people that they aren't alone in their fight. The prospect of meeting people at UT and around the state and nation who I would probably never meet otherwise is exciting to me, and I look forward to all of the cool places, personal expansion, and intertwining of lives that this adventure will bring.

Congratulations, Willa! CIWY

No comments:

Post a Comment