Saturday, November 23, 2013

Texas 4000 Spotlight: Anjali Sethi

Name: Anjali Sethi
Hometown: Allen, TX
Major: Honors Human Development and Family Science/Pre-Med
Weenie Class: Spring 2012

Why are you riding for cancer?
Too many times in my life, I've witnessed a medical condition completely out of one's control take control over their lives and ultimately take them away. Enough is enough. I ride to put an end to loss of control over one's life at the hands of cancer. God has blessed me in countless ways, one of which was saving my grandpa, my Nanaji. My Nanaji is a prostate cancer survivor. My family is everything, and I couldn't even begin to think about the possibility of loosing him. My family was blessed and I want to put those blessings to use. I am healthy and I want to use my health to help others. I ride for all those who've been affected by cancer. I ride for the little kids I worked with in the hospital who had cancer steal their childhood. I ride for the families who had cancer steal their loved ones. I ride to bring back all the hope that cancer stole. I ride for those whose future cancer stole. I ride to stop cancer from stealing anything more. I'm a firm believer that nothing in this world is impossible. I ride to make an exception to that rule. I ride in the effort to make the possibility of having cancer be the one thing in this world that is impossible. I want to help others. I want to bring back hope to those who've lost it. Dumbledore said it best when he said, "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." I want to be that light and bring back happiness and life to those who had cancer take it away.

This journey will not be easy. What will keep you going when things get tough or tiring?
While I know this journey will be challenging at times, I know that anything I endure during my ride won't even compare to what an individual with cancer goes through every second. Knowing that I'm fighting for them so they don't have to anymore is what is going to keep me going.

What aspect of this experience are you the most excited about?
I'm so incredibly excited for all the people I will meet along this journey and to become a part of their life story and have them become a part of mine. I can't wait to be surrounded by my teammates, my new family, who are all so passionate about fighting cancer, and who I know will inspire me in countless ways and help shape me into the best version of myself. I'm honestly so excited about having the opportunity to be that hope for someone who's forgotten what that even is. i'm going to actively be helping others... I'm living my dream!

Congratulations, Anjali! CIWY

No comments:

Post a Comment